Getting a professional to properly measure your feet is typically part of the bespoke footwear buying experience. If you are buying shoes or boots online, however, you will need to take accurate measurements of your own feet with the help of a friend to ensure a proper fit.
Here are some ways you can guarantee a superior fit:
- Be sure to measure the length, width, and arch length of both feet. Feet change size and shape as we age. Just because your last pair was a size 9 does not mean that your new pair will be as well.
- Arch length is measured from the heel to the ball of your foot. To test if you have the correct arch length; stand firmly on both feet in a pair of shoes. Rise up on your toes and if you feel the shoe or boot bending before or after the ball of your foot, your footwear is most likely incorrectly sized.
- Feet swell throughout the day. Therefore, be sure to take your measurements in the afternoon to avoid getting shoes that are too tight.
- Buy footwear that is designed to fit the larger of your two feet, since most people have slightly different sized feet.
- Wear the appropriate socks or hosiery for the type of shoe you are considering. You wouldn't wear your gym socks with a fancy pair if high heels, so don't measure them that way.
- Always stand when measuring so as to take into account the body's pressure on the feet.
- Leave about a half-inch of space between the end of your longest toe and the tip of the shoe. Additionally, leave about 1/8 inch at the back of the shoe for optimal heel comfort.
- Make sure you have plenty of room to move your toes. Blisters and corns are often simply the result of a tight toe box.
If possible, it is best to visit a custom shoemaker to have your feet measured properly before each purchase. With accurate measurements, you will be sure to get the best from your boots and enjoy unsurpassed comfort.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.